Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Laalaaji Nilayam and its Eponym



Bringing forth ‘Laalaaji Nilayam’ to curious attention; its expeditious recital would be a ‘cloister’, an abode of religious fraternity substantiated by a Naqushbandia (Sufi) mystic, His Holiness Ramchandra, affectionately known as ‘Laalaaji’ (1873-1931). During his lifetime, this small house was the habitat of Laalaaji Saahib and he lived here for more than two decades and during this space of time, this house remain the heart- throb of a great socio-Spiritual movement, there by, he worked for the all-round felicity and uplifting of humanity.

Laalaaji Saahib, a Naqushbandia Shaykh (Spiritual Master) greatly acknowledged even today. Laalaaji had entered (Novice) into the tradition without the formal conversion into Islam by his Pir-o-Murshad (Spiritual Master), Hazrat Maulaanaa Fazl Ahemad Khaan Saahib, requiescat in peace, of Qusbaa Raipur, Kaimganj, District Farrukhabad (UP). He is, Laalaaji and Laalaaji alone who brought the Sufism, out from the four-walls of Islam making it accessible to all, irrespective of any cast and religious. According to Laalaaji Sahib, the Sufism means mysticism as applied to natural science and thus a new genealogy sprung from the hierarchy of Laalaaji sahib, but of course, adding no genetic name of any particular religion. This is how’ Laalaaji Nilayam’ is felicitous as supreme holy-place, where all and sundry, who owe allegiance to same banyan tree, come from for and wide in millions prevalent in some 92 nations abroad, to genuflect, every off and on.

The realities of things are permanent, the word is transitory and the reality about Laalaaji is that he is the living example of a Hadith of Holi-Quran, which says-“poverty is my pride.” Laalaaji is epitome of simplicity and sacrifice. Laalaaji is one who preached renunciation to the householders, i.e. guarding one’s self against seeing “other then God”, in this world and the ‘world beyond the veil’. These were his ideals to breathe, which kept his eternal body alive and active, while he was in his physical form and his entity is to the view by the cardiac eye, here in Laalaaji Nilayam even now.

Laalaaji, a householder of high spiritual excellence, served the Government for his family-livelihood. He got his house divided in to two portions. Out of which, one portion to be used as gynaeceum and the other one, which, is now known as Laalaaji Nilayam he developed it as a ‘hermitage’, where the disciple house-hold-couples lived in solitary cells in order to practice austerity and self discipline under sentinel guidance of Laalaaji sahib. Again he was Laalaaji and Laalaaji alone who used to arrange their livelihood sharing from his own salary. The floor and the walls of ‘Laalaaji Nilayam’ still use to narrate such facts about the catholicity of Laalaaji Sahib.

The glow of Beatific-vision, which Parampujya Laalaaji Sahib used to focus (Tawajjoh) on the hearts and the souls of the visitors, has un-interruptedly been succeeded by ‘Laalaaji Nilayam’ evidently radiating the same light and the same sensation of eternity and the entrants experience the living presence of Laalaaji sahib, event now.

After his physical demise in the night, between the 14th and 15th August of 1931 his tradition carried on well, by his worthy son, Mahatma Jag Mohan  Narain until his last day of life, i.e. on 28th August 1944.

Rev. Laalaaji Maharaaj was not only a Saint, of high excellence, but had also a very good command on his pen. He edited a periodical titled as ‘Farrukh’, in which he used to write, regularly in the ‘editorial’ on the subject of the Spirituality touching to the practical problems of the exercitants.

Let me quote one of his pieces, which concerns here. “So long as one’s individual light stays behind, the reflected image of name and form will survive. However, an image is after all images. The present personality is certainly an embodiment of some other personality, who had existed earlier. If somebody could imagine himself as the embodiment of his father and the father being, again an embodiment of his grandfather and so on. And, thus slipping into the past up to such an extent that he starts feeling that the same an image is ending and that he understands the extremity of a link by witch it is attached to the trunk and nothing else, then it may be possible that such point is ultimately his point of origin.”

“O God! This devoted follower has also undergone through many lives as different personalities and embodiments of other ones and has ultimately reached to a level of a selfless form of an image of truth. I am trying to live according to your hopes and expectations and am trying to carry out my responsibilities well. You are the knower of every heart. So I leave it up to you judge as to how capable your devout is in fulfilling his role and how true is the role played by him and how otherwise it is. If he is the image of any one, at what level of truth is he in. I firmly believe that you, with your benevolence and mercy have taken care of this body from the day it came on to this world and spread the first ray of light of truth even when I was in my devoted mother’s lap. I had the good fortune of being in the warmth of that divine light for seven years of my life.”
“O the God Merciful! Your compassion has not kept me away from the flow of divine light for long time, and ultimately, on a holy day of my nineteenth year, you very kindly sent the mercy seat and the divine lamp in the form of my guide and my all the entity endowed me so gracefully. On the very first day he bestowed the mantra in my ears and said that from the very beginning your (my)true form is progressing towards a good path and you (me) should become the personification of a true personality and show Truth as Truth to the world. Make a divine path for reaching the Dhruvpad. Take the use of Maayaa as a necessary ingredient of performing your (my) role but take shelter only of the Satyapad”.

“My Spiritual Guide not only gave me the above instructions to proceed but also came along with me as a shadow for sixteen long years and looked after me with his internal as well as external mercy. He encouraged me to stay away from the pomp and show of the Path and ultimately filling me with his own self, gave the orders that I should spread the Divine Message allover the world in such a manner that no living being is left out. He instructed me that I should lift up the down trodden and grief-stickmen people and give power to their inner condition”.

According to him, the test of progress on the right path, towards achieving the ‘Real Goal of Humanity’, is to become a man in real sense, rather than a ‘Spiritualist’. He wanted the people attached to him, should meditate on the gist of all the ‘Vedas’ and ‘Upanishads’, which is the transparency in the deeds, i.e. the inner self and the outer show should be, ‘one and the same’. It was his ardent desire that his kith and kin, whether the children or the persons of his following, should be recognize, not with any of the particular Logo, dress or apostolic-succession etc., but through their specific conduct. He was impassioned after it. He witnessed, their character, contrary to it, on that event, he became furious. This reflects from his own statement in his diary- 

“I should highlight my other side, as it will reveal my character and my Revered Guruji will also know about it. The fact is, I am being put to such torture at home, over which I have no control. I feel like running away or breaking my head. As soon I reach home, a situation created that I get angry unnecessarily or shamelessly. This has become a habit of mine, to get angry without any reason. Consequently, I have had to face losses. At times, I break things, throwing them. However, this anger spurts only with my family members. When I am alone or with the satsangies, I feel a little calm and peace. Otherwise, something or the other happens and I am not able to compromise with that situation or I feel better if I go against it. This happens mostly when I return from the court or am tired after heavy work.

He was against the ‘duality’ in character, for instance, he puts an example- “you are passing through a market. There you find a child aged about four years, is shivering with cold and crying for he has no clothes. There are rupees two avail in your pocket and in turn, you will purchase a portrait of Goddess Laxmi for the Deepawali celebration. Now on this juncture if your internal condition or your conscience does not permit you to purchase clothes for the child and you are still, stick to purchase the portrait only. In the event I feel you did not get any advantage from the internal practices.

Thus, we conclude from his life that he was a ‘Faqir’ and personified of ‘Illat, Quillat and Zillat’. While taking leave from this mortal world, he left the words for his successive lineage- the task, which I could not achieve, it is- the task, which I could not achieve, it is your prime duty to complete it and this is the true homage and benevolence for me.





 

No comments: